NOPF 2020 NOW ACCEPTING PROPOSALS!
NOPF 2020 will take place April 16-19, 2020, and we are now accepting proposals for your events. Use the "2020 Submissions" link in the main menu to send us your best and brightest and help make NOPF 2020 even better than the last. (Note: You will not see the "2020 Submissions" link unless you are registered and logged in.)
Deadline for proposals: December 1, 2019.
If you're new to NOPF and want to know how it works, we suggest you peruse last year's schedule. This year will be organized in similar fashion. View the complete 2019 schedule with detailed event descriptions, or view it as a simple list with titles and participants only.
NOPF 2019 Schedule Overview:
Thursday, April 18, 2019:
- Dragonfly Open Studio hours/ Registration at Dragonfly (3921 St. Claude), 12-5
- Dogfish Reading Series NOPF Opening Event with Oliver Baez Bendorf, Lee Ann Brown, Henk Rossouw & Chen Chen at Dogfish (2448 N Villere), 7PM
Friday, April 19, 2019:
- Marathon Open Mic Poetry Reading at The Dragonfly Noon-5PM
- Friday Night International Feature with Pierre Joris and Nicole Peyrafitte, Salgado Maranhäo (Brazil) and translator Alexis Levitin, Isabel de la Fuente (Ururguay), Javier Etchevarren (Uruguay) and translator Jesse Lee Kercheval, Andrea Jurjević reading Olja Savičević (Croatia), and more at Cafe Istanbul, 7PM
- Opening reception and party for Viz-Po exhibit at Barristers Gallery, 2331 St Claude, 10PM
Saturday, April 20, 2019:
- Small Press Bookfair and Festival Events at the New Orleans Healing Center (2372 St Claude), 9AM-5PM
- Memorial Second Line from Healing Center to Siberia, 6:30 PM (Note that this will be cancelled in the event of rain.)
- Saturday Night Feature Event with Kalamu ya Salam, Anne Waldman and Fast Speaking Music, and the Poets with Bands rock show featuring Skin Verb and The Call Girls at Siberia (2227 St. Claude), 7PM
Sunday, April 21:
- Small Press Bookfair and Festival Events at the New Orleans Healing Center, 9AM-5PM
New Orleans Poetry Festival, 2019, was dedicated to one of our founding members, 2016 Coordinator, poet and NOPF supporter Laura Mattingly. Please help as we try to raise funds for her care and recovery from recently diagnosed breast cancer.
Laura, 36, mother of 8 yr old Indigo Louella, is a poet, grad student, barber, Reiki Master/Teacher, loud laugh cackler, kitchen wall muralist, and compassionate helper to many of us over the years. She has recently been diagnosed with Invasive Ductile Carcinoma (breast cancer) in her right breast and lymph nodes.
She is still in early phase of diagnosis, but test results do not show signs of the cancer spreading any further (!!!), therefore, she is scheduled for a 9 month treatment plan that begins in 2 weeks! Treatment will include: chemotherapy, surgery, radiation, & endocrine therapy. We are asking supporters to share this GOFUNDME CAMPAIGN within their networks! Two weeks from now is coming up fast, & 9 months is a LONG treatment plan! Lets make sure Laura and Indigo are set up during this time!
There will also be buckets for cash donations at all readings and events during the festival, so please give what you can.
Our main venue for NOPF20 is the same as 19, the New Orleans Healing Center, 2372 St Claude:
The Saturday night show will be in a new location TBA, with other events at nearby venues.
Please sign up for our mailing list if you are not already on it! Click here for the simple signup form.
We promise not to spam you, and this is the best way to keep informed.
Follow us on Twitter @nolapoetry.
If you would like to see some video highlights from years past, search for us on Youtube.